Google Analytics 4 (GA4) is the latest version of Free Google Analytics. In this post, I will show you how you can upgrade Google Analytics to this latest version.
What does upgrade from Univeral Analytics to GA4 mean?
Keep in mind the following few points about the upgrade process listed below
- The upgrade process will create a new Google Analytics 4 property leaving the old one as is
- Upgrading to GA4 will not transfer your data from Univeral Analytics. The new property will start collecting the data from the day you implement tracking for it.
- You can continue to use Universal Analytics (old version of Google Analytics) for all your reporting and analysis as you are doing today while you get up to speed on Google Analytics 4.
If you are interested in learning more then check this ebook, 10 things you need to know before upgrading your current Google Analytics to Google Analytics 4.
Step by Step Process to Upgrade Google Analytics to GA4
- Go to the Admin panel in Google Analytics
- In the property panel of the property, you want to upgrade there is a link called "GA4 Setup Assistant", click on it.
- Click on the "Get Started" button under the "I want to create a new Google Analytics 4 Property" section.
- On the next screen, you will see instructions on what the Upgrade Wizard will do. In a nutshell, it will copy your basic settings such as property name, site name, URL, etc. but won't copy any events, goals, conversions, etc. You will have to set them up later when your base GA4 tracking is complete.
- If you are using Google Tag Manager for universal Analytics implementation then you will have to implement the GA4 data collection script, once you are done with this process of GA4 property setup.
- If you are using gtag.js then a checkbox will be enabled, you can check to use the existing tags to enable data collection but any of your customizations will likely not work. We highly recommend that you use Google Tag Manager to set up GA data collection and tracking.
- Click on "Create Property".
- Now your GA4 property is ready. Note: when you implement GA, events called Enhanced Measurement Events in GA4 are automatically collected.
- Click on "View At this point, you can set up your GA4 base script, check this video for help.
Should you Upgrade to GA4?
Yes, you should upgrade to GA4 though don't get rid of your old Google Analytics (GA3 or Univeral Analytics) property. For details please read the post titled "Should you upgrade to Google Analytics 4".
Universal Analytics to GA4 Upgrade Video
If you like to watch a video of the process then check it out here:
Where to get more help with Google Analytics 4?
- Online Course - Google Analytics 4 Masterclass
- Workshop - We offer onsite customized workshops. Reach out to us for more details.
- Consulting - We can get you up and running with Google Analytics 4 as well as train your and your team to use it effectively. Reach out to us for more details.