Google Analytics 4 (GA4) provides a variety of metrics to help you track the revenue generated by your website or app. Three of the most important revenue metrics are total revenue, purchase revenue, and item revenue.
Total revenue is the sum of all revenue generated from purchases, subscriptions, and advertising and minus any refunds. It is calculated using the following formula:
Total revenue = Purchase revenue + Subscription revenue + Ad revenue - refunds
Purchase revenue is the total amount of revenue generated from ecommerce and in-app purchases. It is calculated using the following formula:
Purchase revenue = Sum of the price of all items purchased
Item revenue is the total revenue generated from individual items purchased. It is calculated using the following formula:
Item revenue = Price of the item * Quantity purchased
Relationship between the three metrics
Total revenue is the broadest of the three metrics and includes all revenue generated from your website or app. Purchase revenue is a subset of total revenue and only includes revenue generated from ecommerce and in-app purchases. Item revenue is the most granular of the three metrics and tracks the revenue generated from individual items purchased.
How to use the three metrics
You can use the three metrics to track your revenue performance over time, identify trends, and make informed decisions about your business. For example, you can use total revenue to track your overall revenue growth and purchase revenue to track the performance of your ecommerce or in-app purchase business. You can also use item revenue to identify best-selling products and services.
Here are some specific examples of how you can use the three metrics:
- Total revenue: Track your overall revenue growth over time to see how your business is performing. You can also compare your total revenue to your budget to see if you are on track.
- Purchase revenue: Track the performance of your ecommerce or in-app purchase business by comparing purchase revenue over time. You can also identify your top-selling products and services by looking at purchase revenue by item.
- Item revenue: Identify your best-selling products and services by looking at item revenue. You can also use item revenue to track the performance of individual marketing campaigns or promotions.
Total revenue, purchase revenue, and item revenue are three of the most important revenue metrics in Google Analytics 4. By understanding the difference between the three metrics and how to use them, you can gain valuable insights into your revenue performance and make informed decisions about your business.
Where to get more help with Google Analytics 4?
- Online Course - Google Analytics 4 Masterclass
- Workshop - We offer onsite customized workshops. Reach out to us for more details.
- Consulting - We can get you up and running with Google Analytics 4 as well as train you and your team to use it effectively. Reach out to us for more details.
- Freelancers - Join our network and get support to help your clients with Google Analytics 4 and more.
GA4 Tips, Tricks, and Insights in your Inbox
GA4 keeps changing and it is hard to keep track of all the changes when you have other things to do. Don't worry we got your back, we will send you a weekly email with the latest developments, tips, tricks, and insights so you don't have to worry about it.